Saturday, May 24, 2008

Giving

My husband and I are still going through the 10 week Crown Financial Course to learn what the Bible says about money. We just finished with week 6. We were studying about giving this week. We have always been givers. From the beginning of our marriage, 15 years ago, we have always given our tithes and offerings.

There have been times in the early days when we were struggling financially and didn't have the money to give. During those times we gave anyway and trusted God. I am here to tell you that He was always there to provide for our needs. Glory to God!

Something has happened over the years. Giving our tithes has just become routine, habit. I write the check along with all of the other bills and then I don't even think about it again.

I was moved by one of the scriptures that I looked up:

2Corinthians 9:7-8 You should each give, then, as you have decided, not with regret or out of a sense of duty; for God loves the one who gives gladly. And God is able to give you more than you need, so that you will always have all you need for yourselves and more than enough for every good cause.

The thing that struck me with this verse is the part about not giving out of duty. I had to do a heart check. I love to give, but do I just write the tithe check out of duty. With God it is always about the heart. I had to confess that I had been giving out of duty/habit and that I wanted to start to think about my tithe each time and have a grateful/joyful attitude about it.

I talked it over with my husband. He has always prayed over our tithe checks before giving them on Sunday, so this wasn't his issue at all. I am glad it came up, though. We decided to make it a family affair. Now, before giving our tithe check to church, we get together as a family and we all pray and thank God for providing for all of our needs! It is so freeing when God reveals an area in our lives that needs to be changed. We are always being refined and I am so grateful for the process!

I hope that before you give your next tithe check, you take the time to thank God for your income and the ability to tithe. If tithing isn't something you are already doing I encourage you to look up some key scriptures and be open to what God might be saying to you. Remember, it's all about the heart.


7 comments:

Kelly said...

Wow - as a family who does automatic bill pay with our tithe - we seriously don't even give it a thought. It just goes by itself, we don't even have to write the check...thanks for the reality CHECK! Wow - you are so right. Never thought of this one.

Although, on our "gifts" (such a the Latvian camper) I pray for him and think of this often.

Thanks for a great reminder.

The Patterson 5 said...

God does love a cheerful giver thanks for the heart check reminder!

Paula V said...

I have always tithe and have also done it with a joyful heart so I thought until I read this posting. I felt it was joyful because I never held onto that money and hesitantly gave it to the Lord. But you are right, I will begin to thank God for providing for me financially and allowing me to freely give to Him without the weight of how will I pay bills. Maybe I felt because it was not a burden to give that I was doing it joyfully but maybe it was out of what I believed to be right.
Thanks,
Paula

Becky Avella said...

My husband just always takes care of it for us, so I haven't given it much thought other than being grateful that we give. This was thought provoking- thanks!

Thanks for your adoption encouragement. I woke up this morning thinking I shouldn't have written that blog post. I was worried that it was too negative. It is just hard to start a journey again that you already know how hard it is going to be. We aren't going to accept a new referral until after the baby is born any way, so I have some time. I did wake up this more excited about getting it going again. It will be wonderful to see all of this unfold.

Thanks again!
Becky : )

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Wow...could you come and relay this teaching to our church?!

Seriously, this is a good reminder that everything we have is a gift from God. He owes us nothing. Instead, out of his lavish love he gives us abundance.

Oh that we could all give and love from a similar portion.

peace~elaine

Wanita said...

I can really identify with all you said in your post. God has always been faithful to provide our needs (and even our wants). He truly is good all the time!

Thank you for your kind comment on my blog. I appreciate it. Have a blessed week.

lifelaughterchaos said...

Hi there! I've been meaning to drop your way, but haven't gotten a chance.

You recently stopped by my adoption blog. I couldn't believe it when I checked your profile. I had just been to your blog one day earlier...I believe it was for something in regards to writing.

Anyway, I had no idea you adopted, so that was so ironic when I recieved your comment.

Thanks for sharing your situation with me...especially regarding the age of your kids. I'm not ready to blog about it yet, but we may have a similar situation arising! We are TRUELY walking by faith.

thanks for stopping by!

Billie
www.thepassionatejourneytoone.blogspot.com

Design by Amanda @ BloggerBuster