Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Friday at She Speaks


Lysa TerKeurst and Me!


Wow, Friday at She Speaks, where to begin!




I'll start with the first general session. It was given by Lysa TerKeurst and I was really blessed. I don't want to give it away if you ever hear her speak, so I'll just tell you what I came away with.




First of all, She gave a stellar description of her first writers conference, and how she had the wrong expectations. I think we could all relate. Then she said by the end that she felt like she was rejected by man, but handpicked by God. That is exactly how I felt this weekend, as a matter of fact, my whole adult life! So this was exactly what I needed to hear.




She then went on to point out that David, in the Bible, was also overlooked by man but handpicked by God. It was a sweet time and I will NOT forget those words as I receive the occasional rejection letter from a publisher or magazine! I will not give up and I will be sure to keep writing and submitting because God has called me to do this.




The next session I went to was called, "Blogging: What Works and What Doesn't." This was put on by 3 top bloggers, Boomama, Rocks in my dryer, and Bigmama. They were very cute and helpful and I will probably be redirecting you all to a new blog name at some point in the near future because of their advice. No worries for now, though. :)




The last session of the night was a writers critique group. This was invaluable because I brought an article and shared it with 2 other writers who read it and then gave me feedback. Praise God for the honesty and help of these 2 ladies, I now know I can make this article the way it needs to be. The other cool thing was that Glynnis Whitwer, who headed this up, decided to create online critique groups for the writers who were interested! So, more to come on this, but I am in a group now. :)

4 comments:

Kelly said...

What a great recap. I can hear the inspiration in your voice. And great picture too. Can't wait to read your thougths on the rest of the weekend.

Bonita said...

Sonya, what you've shared so far sounds so wonderful. Online critique groups?? Cool!

Robin said...

Hi Sonya! It was so good to meet you at the conference. You have the sweetest spirt about you!
I am looking forward to our online group too! God was so gracious and generous all weekend wasn't He? I'm glad you enjoyed the weekend. I know I sure did.

Anonymous said...

Glad you hear that you were so blessed by the weekend. Me too! I already know I would love to go back next year. Blessings!

Design by Amanda @ BloggerBuster